Well so much has happened. Due to windows getting corrupted on my laptop, there's been a slight delay in posting. But happily, no files have been lost! Hooray! So here's a few things:
1. Alec turned 1! Had a great party, will post pix soon.
2. Finished Trellis! Hooray! Just in time for the 50 degree weather here. Here's a few pictures:
First, here's a sleeve blocked, in contrast to the unblocked sleeve you have seen before. I was worried that it would be hard to block this to the right size, so I steam blocked all the pieces before assembly, with my friend's industrial steam iron. I had to yank like crazy to pin them to shape, but they blocked beautifully! The yarn completely took direction once it was hot and steamy.
In retrospect, I would have done the seed stitch cuffs and edgings in one size smaller needle, because as Alec is wearing it, they are stretching out again to be bigger than the body. But it's cool.
Here's a picture of the whole thing completely done. I like the way the sleeves inset, very nifty. I had added an extra buttonhole, because I didn't realize that the collar extended below the collar jiggy-jog in the pattern. Should have trusted the pattern! But no matter, it doesn't show. Look at that cute shawl collar!
Closeup of cute buttons:
And here it is on Mr. Alec David Small, the smallest of them all. He's a bit under the weather with a cold in these pictures, so forgive him his less-than-bright-eyed appearance. But luckily he has a nice snuggly sweater to wear! Fits him very well, the sleeves are a bit long but those cuffs turn back just fine. Now all he needs is a miniature pipe, and he looks like quite the sophisticate.
Except for the tongue sticking out, of course.
And here's the casual, "Daddy's holding me, the world is cool" shot
3. In other knitting news, I have finally started Ken's Harry Potter PoA Gryffindor scarf. To save myself some grief, I am only making it about 7 inches wide. Seems like enough scarf to me. I'm using Brown Sheep NatureSpun. It's a bit scratchy for my taste, but that's the way Ken likes it. The colors are perfect.
It is clipping along, although it's a pain that the circs are a little bigger than the scarf, so I'm constantly stretching the thing around to have workable stitches. I am racing through this baby as fast as I can. I've decided that if the yarn for mine ever arrives, I will make a HiP, so that I don't go insane by Nov 18 (at least, so I don't go insane from HP knitting).
The progress shot:
I've actually finished the fourth trapped bar set as of right now, but it looks the same as this, only longer.
I am joining the gold yarn at the beginning of each set of bars, carrying the yarns throughout the set of 3-5-3 rows, and then breaking the gold at the end of the second bar. My first set of bars has very wonky transitions, because of gaps caused by bad carrying practices, I guess. Instead of learning how to do that better, I am instead using two-handed fair isle technique. So I carry the gold behind, weaving every other stitch, for the first six and last six stitches (when I join and break the yarn). And in between, I am just weaving in for two stitches on either side, then carrying diagonally behind. Very satisfactory so far. Here's what the back looks like:
And here's what the join looks like from the front. Neat enough for me.
I am finding that the bars add enough interest to the plain stockinette, and the 27 rows in between are not so long that I get tired of it between bars -- keeps me motivated to knit fast.
Fibonacci sweater has been put aside for the moment. One plain stockinette project at a time. Besides, I want to finish this well before Nov 18!
Next projects in the queue -- Alec's spyhunter hat for the winter, and finishing patterning the last veggie in the Veggie Rattle kit!