I just finished my big project for the month of January. I made period Elizabethan stockings (Ravelry link) for my friend Philip's big ceremony this past Saturday. They are based on this pattern for 18th century stockings, although this lovely lady did wonderful documentation of how the stockings were done for 16th century as well.
I created a chart for the oak leaf clocks, done in purl/knit checkerboard pattern, and then I embroidered the outline in chain stitch after. I really like how the white-on-white embroidery worked out! I'm going to use that technique again in the future.
The stockings took about 1000 yards of sport weight yarn, worked at 7 stitches per inch. Whew! It took me a month and two days -- I wet blocked them and dried them on my radiator, and was able to hand them over to the recipient the day before they were due. Just in time delivery! I was completely knit-faithful to this project -- I didn't knit anything else while I was working on them, and I did a lot of knitting each day (I was pushing it a bit). The first stocking was very engaging, as I was adjusting my pattern, trying it on the recipient, and figuring out the next section as I went. But the second one went SLOW as molasses! To take the edge off, I ordered a bunch of Madelinetosh Pashmina for a Fall sweater for me :) Project fidelity is dangerous for the pocketbook!
For those interested, that Pashmina is to make Ormolu from Twist Collective, in Port, Oxblood, and Glazed Pecan... someday!
Here's a few pics of the finished stockings:
I'm very proud of 'em, and I'm interested in making some for me... some day!
Now that I'm done with that, I'm swatching for a new magazine submission to Cast On, that's due by the end of Feb. The swatch is almost done -- if they don't take it, I'll probably make it up and self publish (or maybe make a Knitty deadline!). And, I've decided that I need to have in my possession a sample of every one of my designs, so that I can do a trunk show at the drop of a hat.
I'll be doing the March presentation for the Windy City Knitting Guild, and I'll be teaching my knitted applique technique, as well as sharing how I sketch designs using PowerPoint. So, for that class, I'm working up a sample of my Garden Party dress (Rav link), which has applique flowers on it. I've never actually knit this one myself -- it's fun and cute! Sadly, Berroco Touche is now discontinued, so this is the last one I'll be making in this yarn. I have to find a replacement -- I miss worsted weight cotton blends!!
It's also very charming to be working on a Spring knitting project in February. It cheers me up, as does the melting snow!
Thinking of Spring....